Hipsters

A great day to you all.. Today, I will be blogging about something that could be mildly controversial but I think I want to share it so... TOO BAD! The topic that I am gonna be writing about is as the title of this blog post dictates: "Hipsters". 

According to Wikipedia and it's multiple user-editable sources, Hipsters are described as:

 A subculture of young, recently settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers that appeared in the 1990s. The subculture is associated with independent music, a varied non-mainstream fashion sensibilityliberal or independent political views, alternative spirituality or atheism/agnosticism, and alternative lifestyles. " 

Essentially, a bunch of youths who are showing off their hormonal angst via not following popular trends or as they call it, "The Mainstream". 

I wonder what really is "The Mainstream"? From my understanding, it refers to popular trends or popular forms of music or political views. However, I have noticed that Hipsterism had already turned into a popular trend. Thus, being a hipster is being mainstream. Being normal is being hipster. I call this, "The Hipster Paradox". With paradox, I claim that all hipsters are fake and are not true to cause. They are now hypocrites. 

Another thing that makes modern hipsters hypocrites is the fact that by being different and going against "The Mainstream", they are actually allowing the mainstream to dictate their tastes in music, political views or even fashion. 

However, one does not simply hate hipsters that much. I am not really a person who likes to hate. I rather stay on neutral grounds. Now, I shall give some benefits of Hipsterism. 

Firstly, many hipsters are vegetarian due to eating meat being in the mainstream. This is actually quite good. They are unknowingly benefiting their own health and preventing the slaughter of many animals. I wish that they would be more active as a vegetarian by caring more for animals rather than just being vegetarian to sit outside of the norm. 

Next, hipsters are usually part of the richer parts of society and they provide a lot of economical benefit to hipster brands and in turn, improve the economy. 

So, from my neutral standpoint, those who wish to become hipsters can become hipsters but they should become one for the right reasons. If a hipster lifestyle is what you wish to live, I won't stop you but just remember the paradox. True hipsters are technically non-existent. All modern hipsters are technically posers :D  


Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment